On June 29th, 2015, after two months, thousands of miles exploring the American West, and more than 17 National Parks, my girlfriend Andrea and I crossed the border into Tijuana to begin our road trip through Central America for an overlanding adventure the likes of which neither of us ever imagined.
Many thousands of miles and six months later we had driven through 8 countries and loaded my truck onto a container ship in Colon in order to pass the Darien Gap and arrive in Colombia.
We often hear all sorts of terrible things about crime and danger in Central America, particularly in Mexico.
But the reality is quite different…
I had the chance to chat with Jason of the Zero to Travel podcast about this once in a lifetime adventure. Give it a listen:
Follow our overlanding adventures on our Road Trip through Central America:
- Driving in Mexico: Tijuana Border Crossing and Mexican Auto Insurance
- Welcome to Baja California, Mexico – First Nights on the Road
- Behind the Scenes House Sitting in Baja California
- Driving Mexico’s Baja Peninsula from San Quintin to San Ignacio
- Snorkeling off the Coast of Loreto in Mexico’s Baja California
- Beautiful Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Problems with the Police
- How to Go from Baja California to Mainland Mexico – TMC Ferry from La Paz to Los Mochis
- The Police Welcome Us to Mainland Mexico – Arriving in Los Mochis
- Driving Mexico’s Beautiful Pacific Coast from Mazatlan to Puerto Vallarta
- The Town of Tequila and the La Cofradia Factory Tour
- On the Road from Lake Chapala to Morelia, Mexico
- What it’s Like Driving into Mexico City
- 10 Things You Must Do in Mexico City
- Don’t Drive through Mexico or Central America: You Will Be Kidnapped, Killed, or Worse!
- An (Almost) Free Vacation – Three Weeks House Sitting in Mexico City
- The Ancient Pyramids of Teotihuacan, Mexico
- Tombs and Tunnels in Cholula, Mexico and Visiting Puebla
- The Wild and Rugged State of Oaxaca, Mexico
- Three Things You Must Do When Visiting Oaxaca, Mexico
- The Petrified Waterfalls and Infinity Pools of Hierve el Agua, Mexico
- The Hippie Beach Retreat of Zipolite, Mexico
- Ecotourism Among the Mangroves and Wildlife in La Ventanilla, Mexico
- Never Drive at Night: Overcoming Blockades and Protests in Oaxaca, Mexico
- Visiting Mexico’s Stunning Sumidero Canyon in Chiapas
- An Honest Opinion of San Cristobol de las Casas, Mexico