Some articles on Desk to Dirtbag (and just what is a dirtbag, anyway?) contain affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you!). Thank you for reading!
This post is meant to accompany the Fly for Free chapter in my book Big Travel, Small Budget.
My first big award redemption came around Christmas. I procrastinated on buying a ticket home for the Holidays.
By the time I was finally somewhat clear on dates and was able to purchase the ticket, it is only about two weeks before Christmas and by that time the prices had climbed to around $800 round trip just to fly back home to Seattle.
I ended up shelling out 50,000 miles with American Airlines and $85 cash for taxes and fees.
I was able to score a one way flight home to Seattle from Medellin for just 35,000 miles and $95.10 in taxes and fees.
The same flight was $782 if purchased outright. I just saved $686.90.
Become a Travel Hacker
The $97 I spent for the Frequent Flyer Master and Travel Ninja bundle from Unconventional Guides has, to date, saved me about $1,400 total. If we were talking in investing terms, my ROI (Return on Investment) would be an astronomical 1,343.3%.
That is money that I would be spending regardless in order to travel home to see family.
If you’d love to travel to more far flung destinations or just want to save big bucks on the travel that you already are expecting to do (or maybe have to do), then I cannot recommend strongly enough that you get started in the realm of travel hacking as soon as possible. The Frequent Flyer Master guide is a great place to jump start your travel hacking career.
The Frequent Flyer Master guide includes:
- 60+ page updated guide with details about earning miles and redeeming your miles.
- Travel Ninja guide which includes tips, trick, and how-to’s related to Round the World travel, creative lodging opportunities and much more.
- Two audio session related to travel hacking and frequently asked questions.
- Regular email updates with the latest tips, tricks and news.
Further Reading and Resources:
- Cards for Travel – A continuously updated resource of the best credit card promotions currently available.
- Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles from Extra Pack of Peanuts – Another super comprehensive guide to maximizing your mileage earning and how to maximize your redemption. Travis Sherry knows his stuff.
- How to Travel the World on a Budget – My own post about how I used some of these core concepts to travel cheaply over the long-term.
- Frequent Flyer Master from Unconventional Guides – The awesome guidebook that got me started down this path to free travel.
- Flyer Talk – A major source of news and forum discussions related to miles, points, and travel hacking.
- The Points Guy – Another major source to turn to when looking for discussions and news in the world of miles and frequent flyer programs.
Latest posts by Ryan (see all)
- November 2018 Monthly Recap and Income Report - December 2, 2018
- 21 Most Incredible Places to Visit in Colombia - November 11, 2018
- Travel Hacking Essentials: How to Meet the Credit Card Minimum Spend - November 9, 2018
- Travel Hacking 101: How to Save Thousands on Your Next Trip - November 4, 2018
- 2018 Best Gifts for Adventure Lovers and Travelers - November 3, 2018