Often before we act, we need a good long while to contemplate the possibilities, daydream about plans, and think about all those What Ifs. I know that I too spent a good few years dreaming of a life full of more travel and more adventure, and I’d read about all the incredible things that some people were already out there doing. I’d scout the internet at work at times, reading some new adventure quotes that would reignite this passion I had lingering inside me.
I’m of the mind that adventure and travel are good for the soul.
Part of my mission ever since starting Desk to Dirtbag is to inspire more people to get out and find more adventure in their life, whatever that means to them, whether it is climbing mountains, backpacking South America, or going out on their first camping adventure.
Adventure is relative for each person, but adventure is, undoubtedly, the spice of life. It nourishes us and makes us come alive, as it expands the boundaries of our comfort zone and leaves us hungry for more.
It’s time to turn your daydreams into a reality and create a repository of memories that you’ll cherish for a lifetime.
Ready to get inspired on your own journey with a few of my favorite travel adventure quotes?
Inspiring Adventure Quotes
I put together some of my old favorites as well as new adventure quotes that resonate with me, in the hopes that you too would find a bit of inspiration, maybe help you get through the work week before you head out, or to inspire you as you launch your plans of long-term travel and adventure.
Without further ado, here are a number of awesome quotes about adventure and travel to inspire you to take action and invite more adventure into your life. I’ve laid the quotes out over a few favorite photographs that I’ve taken from the past few years of travel, as we covered ground from Alaska to Patagonia (and everything in between).
Don’t forget to Pin your favorite quote on Pinterest with one of the easy share buttons.
1. “Having an adventure is sometimes just a matter of going out and allowing things to happen in a strange and amazing new environment—not so much a physical challenge as a psychic one.”
– Rolf Potts
2. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”
– Anthony Bourdain
3. “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”
– George Adair
4. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
– Mark Twain
5. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by.”
– Robert Frost
6. “The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
7. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
– Helen Keller
8. “The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”
– Chris McCandless
9. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.”
– Saint Augustine
10. “The sea’s only gifts are harsh blows and, occasionally, the chance to feel strong. Now, I don’t know much about the sea, but I do know that that’s the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong, to measure yourself at least once, to find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing blind, deaf stone alone, with nothing to help you but your own hands and your own head.”
– Primo Levi
11. “When all’s said and done, all roads lead to the same end. So it’s not so much which road you take, as how you take it.”
– Charles de Lint
12. “Fear isn’t only a guide to keep us safe; it’s also a manipulative emotion that can trick us into living a boring life … the great stories go to those who don’t give in to fear.”
– Donald Miller
13. “I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted.”
– Jack Kerouac
14. “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
– Henry David Thoreau
15. “If happiness is the goal – and it should be, then adventures should be top priority.”
– Richard Branson
16. “It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.”
– Alan Cohen
17. “‘Someday’ is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you.”
– Timothy Ferriss
18. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma—which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”
– Steve Jobs
19. “Jobs fill your pockets, but adventures fill your soul.”
– Jaime Lyn
20. “Your path is yours alone. And if it’s the path less traveled, that’s absolutely fine. The world doesn’t need more conformists. The world needs more people who create and question and search.”
– Laird Hamilton
21. “The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.”
– Yvon Chouinard
22. “Your possibilities are unlimited, but it all begins with the deliberate choice to think differently.”
– Chris Guillebeau
23. “Stuff your eyes with wonder, he said, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.”
– Ray Bradbury
24. “Man does not simply exist but always decides what his existence will be, what he will become in the next moment.”
– Viktor Frankl
25. “Go Outside. Life is too short to watch it pass by from a desk.”
– Desk to Dirtbag
Yeah, I had to add that last one by me, yours truly! 🙂
So there you have it! Hope you found a little bit of inspiration with some of these favorite travel adventure quotes… The point here isn’t to just get inspired though, it’s to actually get out there and find adventure yourself.
Do you have any lesser-known or new adventure quotes that you love? Share them in the comments below…
Read Next: Budget Travel Resources and Tips
Did you enjoy these inspiring adventure quotes? Please take a minute to share it on Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter.
Latest posts by Ryan (see all)
- A Self-Guided Tour of Kennedy Space Center: 1-Day Itinerary - August 2, 2022
- Fairfield by Marriott Medellin Sabaneta: Affordable and Upscale - July 25, 2022
- One of the Coolest Places to Stay in Clarksdale MS: Travelers Hotel - June 14, 2022
- Space 220 Restaurant: Out-of-This-World Dining at Disney’s EPCOT - May 31, 2022
- 9 Reasons the Chase Sapphire Preferred is the Best Travel Credit Card - May 23, 2022