After a bit of delay in shipping and customs, it actually arrived here in Medellin, Colombia… I’m always surprised when things make it here, hah.
I decided to put together a quick unboxing and impressions video as I used it for the very first time to charge my Kindle on the balcony of my apartment.
My initial thoughts are that it’s a pretty slick little device. It is quite slim and lightweight which is most excellent for hiking/backpacking and for travelers.
The tech specs say it weighs in at just under 14 ounces and measures 10 inches by 8.2 inches, by 1 inch thick (though just the battery, the panel itself is very slim).
I charged my Kindle for about 2 hours from a dead battery and it charged up to about 75%.
Things I like about the BioLite SolarPanel 5+ from my initial impression:
- The device features a 2,200 mAh battery so you can even charge your devices late at night after the sun goes down, if you like.
- A slick little kickstand so you can get the optimal angle of the sun.
- It has an analog sundial so you know exactly how to best position it for maximum strength from the sun.
- Attachment points so you can easily strap it to a pack or lock it up with a cable lock.
- Very light and portable. I can see myself traveling into the backcountry with a panel of this size and weight. I fret about overall pack weight a lot, but this one is quite light.
I’ve only just had a chance to unbox it, but I’m really impressed at first glance. I’ll be sure to put the device through it’s paces here in Colombia, and look forward to taking it with me as we drive all the way down to Patagonia.
It’s really nice to be able to utilize solar power to keep your cell phones and cameras charged while camping or in the backcountry… Especially on longer term trips like I am frequently embarking on.
If you are in the market for a viable alternative energy source for your off the grid adventures, whether backpacking or truck camping, I’d highly recommend taking a look at the BioLite SolarPanel 5+.
At only $80 retail price, it is also a very affordable portable solar setup.
Any questions for me about the BioLite SolarPanel 5+? Sound off in the comments below, and I’ll get back to you!
Disclosure: I received this product free to use and abuse it in order to share my opinion with you all. My opinion is my own and not influenced by the manufacturer.
Latest posts by Ryan (see all)
- A Self-Guided Tour of Kennedy Space Center: 1-Day Itinerary - August 2, 2022
- Fairfield by Marriott Medellin Sabaneta: Affordable and Upscale - July 25, 2022
- One of the Coolest Places to Stay in Clarksdale MS: Travelers Hotel - June 14, 2022
- Space 220 Restaurant: Out-of-This-World Dining at Disney’s EPCOT - May 31, 2022
- 9 Reasons the Chase Sapphire Preferred is the Best Travel Credit Card - May 23, 2022