As much as I’ve written about the subject of truck camping over the years, the written word usually only goes so far to explain my truck camping setup, how things work, and the pros and cons. The places where the written word fails to do justice can often best be supplemented by video, which is why I put together this comprehensive page of truck camping videos, where you can see everything I’ve filmed over the years on a one-page resource.
Within each of these truck camping videos, you will find details that aren’t always readily apparent in my articles, but below each, I’ve also included links to further content for those of you who want to dig in a bit further.
So without further ado, here is my full library of truck camping videos so you can better see all of the things I talk about in action.
Note: If you have AdBlocker installed, the video players may not appear at all.
Choosing a Canopy
Choosing a canopy or topper for your truck camping setup might seem like a pretty straightforward thing, but there are a few things that you should keep in mind if you are purchasing a topper and want to have the most comfortable setup for long-term truck camping living
Read More: Choosing a Canopy
Two Main Approaches to Truck Camping
Although there are many different types of truck camping setups, ranging from roof-top tents, campers, bed tents, and more, the main thing I focus on here is truck canopy camping. Within the truck canopy camping niche, there are two primary approaches. Each of which has pros and cons.
This video is a run-down on the main approaches and what you can expect with each.
Read More: Backshelf vs Upper Platform
My Transformer Style Setup
This video details my first and original build… It’s my first truck camping video as well (yeah, yeah, ignore the music). It shows the main setup that I use, which is the exact same build I use today, the only difference is in some of the details about what I use inside, whether it is different boxes or curtains.
Read More: Pickup Truck Camping Guide
How to Build a Truck Camping Setup
My transformer truck camping setup has always attracted a lot of interest over the years, so I put together a detailed video about how we actually went about building the truck camping setup, which should answer most lingering questions about how to do it yourself.
Read More: How to Build My Truck Camping Setup
Choosing a Mattress or Sleeping Pad
Once you’ve got the basic build, the main thing you aren’t going to want to ignore is your sleep setup. It’s important to get a good night’s rest, and truck camping is no exception to that.
Here are my thoughts, based on hundreds of nights truck camping, about what you should look for in a quality sleeping pad or truck camping mattress.
Read More: Choosing a Sleeping Pad or Mattress
Moving Platform to Upper Position
It can be tricky trying to explain how the transformer style approach actually works, especially once you’ve got it full of gear. So here is a video that shows how simple it is to move the platform from the lower position to the upper position, which is ideal for gear security or quick nights of urban stealth camping.
Moving Platform to Lower Position
The other end of the same question is how to move the platform into the lower position with all the gear below. Again, it’s not too complicated, but showing you how it is down is a lot easier than explaining it.
Truck Camping as a Couple
For the past few years, I’ve been truck camping with my girlfriend, although I built it with just myself in mind. Truck camping as a couple is obviously a little more cramped, but it’s totally doable. Our truck camping adventures have allowed us to drive the Pan-American Highway and save thousands of dollars on lodging in the process.
I hope you’ve enjoyed the Desk to Dirtbag library of truck camping videos. If you want to see NEW truck camping videos addressing a specific topic, I’d love to hear your questions or ideas, feel free to leave a comment below or to shoot me a private email.
If you enjoyed this post about truck camping videos, please take a moment to share it on Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook.
Essential Truck Camping Gear
- Teton Sports Foam Sleeping Pad
- 15 Degree Down Sleeping Bag
- Two Burner Coleman Stove
- Aeropress Coffee Maker
- Hard-Sided Water Container
- Collapsible Camp Chair
- 800W Power Inverter
- Cooler for Food Storage
Road Trip Essentials
- Get a truck if you don't have one! 🙂 I've traveled all over the world in my 1991 Toyota Pickup. The bigger the truck bed the better. Short beds have workarounds but they are not ideal unless you are quite small.
- Find a new or used canopy for your truck. Read this guide on what to look for when buying a canopy. My top recommendation is to find an elevated canopy like the Leer 122 (what I use).
- Decide on what sort of truck bed sleeping platform you want to build. The two most common are an elevated sleeping platform or the backshelf (and side-shelf) approaches. I did a transformer setup for the best of both worlds, here is my step-by-step guide building the transformer style setup.
- Purchase essential gear to start truck camping which includes a sleeping pad or mattress, sleeping bag, two-burner stove, cooler, storage boxes, etc.
- Go on a test truck camping run at a free boondocking campsite without amenities to test your setup. Read more about finding free camping in the USA.
- Consider your electronics system and how you will charge devices while on the road. You could get an outside system like the GoalZero Yeti but I recommend using a dual battery and isolator under the hood.
- Join the Pickup Truck Camping group on Facebook for an amazing, like-minded community where you can ask questions and get answers from experienced truck campers. Be sure to pick up your #PTC stickers, shirts, and swag!
- Review the detailed truck camping gear and accessories (plus a packing list) and start planning your epic truck camping adventures. Might I suggest this national park road trip, the most scenic drives in the USA, or this west coast USA road trip? Here is more info on road trip planning for you, based on 10s of thousands of miles of adventures.
- Sign up for more truck camping tips, tricks, and info delivered straight to your email inbox from yours truly.
I hope this helped you get started with truck camping! I know it can be confusing when you are just getting started, which is why I started writing so extensively about it.
If you have any questions about truck camping, road trips, budget travel, or anything else shoot me an email at email@example.com.
(I love getting questions! That is how I get ideas for my blog posts and what to write about!)
Latest posts by Ryan (see all)
- How to Save Money on Prescription Eye Glasses - December 16, 2021
- Gaining Traction Against Distraction: Indistractable Summary - June 28, 2021
- The Sovereign Individual: Lessons for the Information Age - June 17, 2021
- How to Protect Yourself Online: A Simple Guide - June 3, 2021
- Reimagining Remote Work and Startup Cities in a Post-Pandemic World - May 7, 2021