Some articles on Desk to Dirtbag (and just what is a dirtbag, anyway?) contain affiliate links, meaning that if you make a purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you!). Thank you for reading!
Time for another monthly recap and income report, where I share what’s new in the world of Desk to Dirtbag and offer a bit of transparency behind the blogging.
On to this month’s report…
Hanging out at Medellin’s Mercado del Rio – We loved it so much that we made a few visits to this giant warehouse full of incredible restaurants with all sorts of cuisine. It’s got food, desserts, wine bars, and even an open air lounge on the third floor. Medellin continues to surprise me with everything it has to offer here.
Meeting the Long Haul Trekkers – Dave and Jen and their dog Sora just completed bicycling from the southern tip of South America all the way to Medellin. We happened to connect somewhat randomly and got together to swap stories and insights over beers at Medellin’s Stereo Bar.
Definitely go check these guys out, if you think a road trip through Latin America is cool, imagine doing it by bicycle!
Moving out of our apartment in Medellin – The worse part about long-term travel is the transition from sedentary to moving, which means downsizing your belongings and packing things up. I don’t own a lot of things, really, just the basics for an apartment, but it’s ALWAYS tough packing things up and getting ready to go again.
But the worst part is behind us now, and we’ve got the open road to look forward to…
Most Popular Article of the Month
This article went sort of viral one more than one occasion over the month and got thousands of visits within days of publication, which almost never happens right at once.
It’s an article that tries to take a realistic and balanced view on the safety and security of Mexico and Central America.
April was my most productive month of blogging in the history of this site, I think, with 12 new blog posts (three per week!) over the month. This was after two months of zero new blog posts on this site.
And all that happened within the month where I was crazy busy and moving out of my apartment — I’m not sure how I managed that.
- 10 Things You Must Do in Mexico City
- The Definitive Guide of Things to See and Do in Medellin
- A Taste of Luxury in Miami Beach
- An (Almost) Free Vacation: Three Weeks House Sitting in Mexico City
- What to Pack in a Go Bag for Last Minute Backpacking Adventures
- Six Best Hikes in Virginia for Overnight Backpacking
- The Fanciest Meal of My Life – Molecular Gastronomy in Medellin’s El Cielo
- The Ancient Pyramids of Teotihuacan, Mexico
- Tombs and Tunnels in Cholula, Mexico and Visiting Puebla
- What to Do in San Gil – Colombia’s Adventure Sports Capital
- The Wild and Rugged State of Oaxaca, Mexico
I’m planning on ramping up my content creation substantially in the coming months, and hoping I can break through my previous monthly traffic limits which have been holding steady at about 35k per month, though my current record is 50k back in May 2016.
Most Popular Instagram Photo
This throwback shot of the crashing waves and sun setting over the Pacific Ocean in Central America was my most liked post on IG for the month.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram for more photos of my adventures.
April 2017 Income Report
TOTAL = $542.48
GOAL = $1,200 per month
45% of goal covered
April saw a 10% decline compared to March. While Amazon sales held steady and sales of Big Travel, Small Budget picked up, I saw dips in my other sources of income which meant less overall.
Help Me Out
If you have any upcoming purchases, please shop through the D2D store at no extra cost to you.
Please take a moment to share this on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. Thanks!
As always questions, comments, and feedback are extremely welcome.
Latest posts by Ryan (see all)
- 13 Things You Should Know When Traveling to Medellin - April 14, 2019
- March 2019 Monthly Recap and Income Report - April 2, 2019
- 8 Things You Should Know When Visiting Mexico City - March 24, 2019
- How to Travel, Work, and Live Anywhere in The World with the Paradise Pack - March 19, 2019
- A Free Vacation in 2019 with No Scams, Timeshares, or Sweepstakes - March 17, 2019