I had the pleasure of chatting with Jason Moore over at the Zero to Travel podcast about how to overland Central America, where we discussed my and Andrea’s big road trip through every country in Central America last year, including touching base on what to know before you go, what to expect when you are on the road, and plenty more.
I must say, that trip was one of the coolest, most life-changing experiences I have ever undertaken. Going overland Central America isn’t for everybody, but if you’ve got a little bit of a spirit of adventure and don’t lose it when things don’t go exactly to plan, then you can probably undertake this trip.
You don’t need to be a professional adventurer, you don’t need to be an auto mechanic wiz, this is a trip that is undertaken by people of all backgrounds and abilities.
Jason and I talked about the pros (and cons) of overland travel, what to expect on a road trip through Central America, some of my favorite gear on the road, some of my favorite resources to find camping, and a lot more:
- How to unlock a hidden world of infinite possibilities during your travels
- Another definition of dirtbag
- Where to find ‘normal’ people that do overland travel
- How to prepare your vehicle for overland travel
- Precautions to take while driving in Central America
- Primary benefits of overland travel
- How to deal with car insurance
- Best practices for cooking set up
- How to develop an organized system for storage
- General rules of the road for overland travel in Central America
- Best recommendations for sleeping spots
- The best amount of time to allow for a trip through Central America
- A general daily budget you should think about
- Hidden gems and unexpected surprises in Central America
- Safety in Central America
Give it a listen and be sure to check out more of his episodes with other veteran travelers.
Read Next: Myths About Central America Travel
Mexico Travel Guide
Read Next: My Mexico Travel Guide, Tips, and Resources
Did you enjoy this post on how to overland Central America? Please give it a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.
Latest posts by Ryan (see all)
- 2019’s Best Gifts for Adventure Lovers and Travelers - November 3, 2019
- The Ultimate Guide to Envigado, Colombia - September 24, 2019
- Overland Tips: Guatemala El Salvador Border Crossing - September 10, 2019
- August 2019 Monthly Recap and Income Report - September 3, 2019
- Best Way to Learn Turkish on Your Own - September 1, 2019